Sunday, May 15, 2016

PTSD & Me

Why do I have a blog called 'support 4 the troops and other thoughts'?  
Well, you see back nearly 10 years ago I married a man that I love with my whole heart.  That man just so happened to be a Marine in the United States Marine Corp.  I grew up in the U.S. and was well indoctrinated in patriotism of the highest order, you know the kind where you don't question anything?  I was proud of my husband and his status in the military.  After only a few days together, my husband was deployed to Iraq for 7 long months. We missed our first Christmas and our first Valentines. Little did I know that that wouldn't be all that was lost. 

While he was still deployed things became strained between us. He began to be abusive to me emotionally and with words. We were able to communicate quite a bit with email.  At the time I was hurt and shocked but believed that I was the problem. He had never treated me like that before so I figured I must have done something wrong.  It turns out that it was the beginning symptoms of his PTSD.

It would be months before he returned from Iraq and even more months passed before he was diagnosed with PTSD due to negligence by the Marine Corps. (story for another time)  By the time my husband was diagnosed I was severely depressed, not just as an effect from the abuse but from lots of other things too. Our marriage has suffered for years, neither of us being the people who married one another that warm July day.

Eventually my eyes were opened to the realities that troops in general face, both in and out of combat.  If it weren't for my husband and all the things he has been through I would not have this blog.  I wouldn't care about the troops any more than the usual lip service paid by every normal patriotic citizen of the United States of America.  Over all it is hidden from the general population, the injustices that our troops face, ironically the same troops who supposedly fight for our justice and freedom.

Over the years my husband and I have been through a lot.  Both of us have learned a great deal of how to cope with PTSD. According to our psychologist, when one person has PTSD the whole family has it. It is true because it impacts us all.  I hope you will stay tuned for more regular updates.
Thanks!

Apologies to any of my readers out there. I had lots of stuff go on in my life during the last 6 years and I completely forgot I even created this blog. I plan to write more often. Thanks for your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment